Monday, November 30, 2015

Lightning Strike a Heart

It was a bad thunderstorm for the White Mountains and several times we had the hikers drop their packs, spread out and adopt the “lighting position” we’d taught and practiced at basecamp.  The kids were scared, and I was scared, so when the storm moved off we were relieved, but now we had a new issue, we were cold, wet, tired, and the storm had driven us off the trail.  I remember holding one of the kids as he cried, telling me he was too tired to go on as darkness covered us.  As we stood there, a faraway lightning strike lit up the sky and I saw a glimpse of our trail slowly winding 100 feet below.  Most of the Thanksgiving long weekend I rested, exhausted by my tooth extraction and starting back on both oral chemos.  We’ve all been there, tired, wet, and feeling lost.  Sunday, I spent time with my grandkids, and at the end of the day I caught a glimpse of the trail slowly winding down off the lonely places we all sometimes go.  Lightning strike someone’s heart this week and help them glow.  

No comments: