Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Gift of Gratitude



My dad visited several days before my back fusion in the mid-70’s, but couldn’t stay for the surgery.  However, it didn’t matter, for my mom who had died years before came to me during the surgery, and then sat with me for days after in the recovery room calming my fears as she shared the joy she’d experienced in our short life together.  I remember waking up in the recovery room expecting to see my mom sitting by the bed.  She wasn’t there, but her faith and gratitude in the goodness of life was, a gift I had watched her live through her cancer journey.  Exactly one month ago I started the pain, sinus infection saga with my abscessed tooth, and today MD Anderson dental will extract it.  Last night’s memories of my mom’s care during my back fusion underlined once again the gift of gratitude we all receive – all we have to do is accept it, and live it.  As you prepare for the holiday, may you live the gift of gratitude.    

No comments: