Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Swinging on a Swing and Flying High

Several Fridays ago, I received my fifth different chemo since I started my cancer journey.  My last two chemo’s have been infusion therapy, and easy as I relax for several hours as the drugs intravenously enter my body.  During the chemo, I listened to one of my Pandora stations on my IPhone and when I walked out, I still had my ear buds plugged in.  Walking back to my office I stopped on top of the bayou bridge and listened to Neil Diamond sing You Don’t Bring Me Flowers Anymore.  Three lines soaked into my heart, and I remember grabbing the bridge railing as a flood of tears poured down my face.  Three simple lines, “I’ve learned how to laugh / And I’ve learned how to cry….. / You’d think I could learn how’d to tell you goodbye.”

The tears wouldn’t stop.  There are times the reality of the journey is too much, I walked into my building and found an empty space on the second floor to cry.  Through my coaching, I know that all cancer survivors and caregiver feel it; sometimes more on some days, but the fear is there and real.  Slowly the tears stopped, I remember feeling lighter as my faith in life, love, and myself returned.  It was like swinging on a swing.  One moment you feel the weight of life and then as your toes touch the sky, everything drops away as you fly.  That night as I told MaryBeth about my experience, and realized how my low moments ensure I swing out really high, touch the sky with my toes, and fly.  Have you been swinging on a swing enough lately to touch the sky with your toes and fly?


No comments: