Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Veterans Day Memories

My dad flew WWII and Korea, so I was proud to sign up for ROTC at LSU.  I remember carrying the guidon my first year of ROTC.  I remember how my training as a Bengal Raider prepared me for Ranger School.  I remember my basic training at Fort Sill, and the two friends in my squad at Fort Sill that would later die in Vietnam.  I remember the day I graduated from college, had a birthday, and was commissioned a 2nd Lieutenant.  I remember my first parachute jump, and the first time I jumped a jet.  I remember my first ride in a Huey, and my first ride in a Chinook.  I remember shooting the M1, M16, M60, 45 pistol, and the M67 recoilless rifle.  I remember going to work every day with a flak vest and helmet, carrying my M16 / 420 rounds, 45 pistol / 21 rounds, and my combat knife. 

I have life long memories of riding in medivacs where there was too much blood and pain.  I have life long memories of holding the first soldier to die in my arms.  I have life long memories of firing my M16 at someone that was shooting at me.  I remember being promoted to 1st Lieutenant and Captain, and then Tenneco forcing me to resign my Reserve Commission in exchange for their willingness to pay for a Ph.D.  I could never pay back what the GI Bill gave me by making graduate school possible.  I could never pay back what my 4 years active duty, and 10 years Army Reserves gave me in confidence, self-esteem, resilience, belief in team, and my ability to thrive in the best and worst of times.  I am a proud very grateful Vet.  Wish a Vet, “Happy Veterans Day today!”

  

No comments: