Monday, November 9, 2015

Afterimage

It was close to dusk as I was riding home after a long day filled with intense emotions surrounding changes at work.  The street was very busy, and the sidewalk ahead was filled with people trying to cross the intersection to catch the oncoming METRORail.  Traffic was moving very slow when out the corner of my eyes I saw him.  He was older, had a beard, but was still wearing his worn out Army fatigues.  His eyes followed mine and he raised his hand and he gave me a worn out smile – and then he was gone.  He hadn’t limped into my life for years, but when he did I knew he was an afterimage burned into my soul in a past life, a reminder to believe in the goodness of life, as he had.  We all have family, friends, and afterimages in our lives that help us look beyond the broken moments, and realize not all life is broken – we just have to believe!  I wiped the tears, as I waited for the Light Rail to pass, feeling the goodness of life return through the blessing of an afterimage.  Be an afterimage of goodness for someone today.  

No comments: