Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Heart Whispers


She was a little older and sat across from me in the waiting room.  When the triage nurse taking vitals called her husband’s name, she had gotten up, but he motioned her to sit down and wait.  He unsteadily rose, holding onto his walker and with the help of the nurse disappeared through one of the hallways.  She watched every step he took, and when he disappeared, I watched her lips move as her “mind whispers” grew louder.  Each time the door opened, she’d rise and then sit back down when it was not her husband.  You could feel her impatience, her fear; it was getting easier to read the mind whispers on her lips. 


My last chemo regimen (Sutent) was hard on me physically, emotionally, and spiritually.  The weaker my body grew the harder it was for me to hold it together. Some nights it felt like a riptide was dragging me across the bottom where I was losing large pieces of me.  One night as I began my riptide nightmare, I heard a faint whisper, a “heart whisper” that had an immediate calming effect and allowed me to step off the treadmill my mind had created.  Shifting your focus from mind whisper to heart whispers is a reboot that gets you back to believing in life!  Hear it, feel it, believe it!

1 comment:

myDefiningMoment said...

my heart whispers - often heard as much louder by my family... each moment is a defining moment, so I choose my thoughts.