Friday, November 6, 2015

Mark Rothko – Pockets of Silence

It was an evening where time seem to stop, as I became lost in deep emotions and feelings as we journeyed through the world of Mark Rothko paintings at The Museum of Fine Arts.  This journey might have been very different, but I’d arrived at its door after several weeks of doing my best to cope with a high-stress environment at work.  It wasn’t the first time where work/life stress had begun to take its toll on my well-being, and I’m sure it will not be my last.  But last night as I was pulled into Rothko’s work and mesmerized by the depth of the experience, I realized after six decades of living, I was better at letting go.  Rothko’s final public statement before his suicide included words that speak about our search for the pockets of silence where we can root and grow.  My heart-led mindful meditation and prayer practices have blessed me with pockets of silence, and I like Rothko have found, “Silence is so accurate”.  What life practices bring you pockets of silence?


No comments: