Thursday, November 12, 2015

Connecting to the Now

Almost immediately, after my body cast was cut off, and I had started to gain strength, I headed back to school.  I worked as a Resident Assistant (RA) and lived at Kerr Hall my first semester at UNT.  My second semester, I started teaching and research assistantship positions, so I left my RA job and moved to a rooming house called the Red Ghetto that was across from the College of Music.  My room had a bed, stove, small refrigerator, and a bathroom.  It did not have a kitchen sink or heater, so I washed my dishes in the bathtub, and used the stove as a heater. 


My neighbors name was Sue, and we both were involved in long-distance relationships that made life and school hard.  Our bathrooms backed up against each other, and one morning we discovered we could talk through the plywood wall.  This led to sharing suppers, and evenings sitting outside sharing our dreams.  Sue and I moved from the Red Ghetto into a garage apartment with two separate living spaces.  Life and school got easier, and our long-distance relationships thrived, for Sue and I better connected each other to the “now”.  Surround yourself with people that better connect you to the NOW!      

No comments: