Thursday, August 6, 2015

Radiation - Day One

It not one of those places you really want to revisit, so yesterday when I entered the back hallways of Radiation Oncology it felt just a little weird.  Almost exactly 8 years ago, (8/15/2007) I first sat in the same chairs and did the same wait. A lot had changed, but I found a real comfort in what had stayed the same.  The lead therapist introduced me to his team, and they showed me the control room and we laughed about the stuffed animals giving warmth to a room covered by computers and monitors.  The bell still hung in the hallway I will ring on August 25, once I have completed my 15 sessions. 


As we stepped into the treatment room, I saw the machine that will be my cancer-fighting warrior.  The next 30-minutes went quickly, “what music would you like to listen to, do you need a warm blanket?” and then I was dreaming.  Saturated with images of her smile, I lost myself in her warmth, courage, and vastness of her love.  “We” have only 14 more days of radiation!

No comments: