Friday, August 28, 2015

Birch Swinger

Our outdoor cat Sun Dance followed me out to my truck this morning, talking the whole way.  Yesterday I told him I had a short trip to Salt Lake City this weekend where I’d be teaching nurse anesthetists about Empowering Calm.  As he walked by my side, he kept telling me how much he wanted to go, just to get away for a little while.  One of my favorite Robert Frost’s poems is “Birches” which imagines a young boy riding his father’s trees over and over, with a swish and then kicking all the way back to the ground.  A shift occurs in the poem when the speaker expresses a yearning to leave the confusion of life for just a little while, and then return like a birch swinger.  Most days I am a good birch swinger and get away for just a little while through still moments - how about you?


No comments: