Thursday, May 7, 2015

Words Can Change Your Brain

Standing on our pier, watching the changing reflection of the clouds and trees, reminded me how much my self-talk affects how I feel about myself, and the world around me.  When diagnosed as a stage III cancer survivor my self-talk and view of me changed, but not profoundly.  This past year when my cancer moved to metastatic I instantly changed my life view and decided I would be a cancer “thriver”, not just a cancer survivor.  The key to this change has been my self-talk.  In the book, Words Can Change Your Brain, the authors describe how a single word has the power to influence the expression of genes that regulate physical and emotional stress.  My daily wellness practices are core to my efforts to be a cancer thriver, but I’ve learned my resiliency is built one word at a time.

No comments: