Thursday, May 28, 2015

Openheartedness & Gratitude

How does gratitude fit into a cancer journey that turns lives upside down filling the future with uncertainty and stress?  She was tired; you could see it in her eyes, posture, and feel it in her voice.  For the first half-hour we didn’t talk, but at some point she said, “I’m Beth, been coming here for 12 years, lost my husband 5 years ago to colon cancer, and now it’s trying to get me”.  I told her I was a prostate guy, she smiled and said, “slow going huh?”. 

As we talked I learned that she lived down the street from her oldest son and family, and there was nothing better than grandkids love.  As we shared stories about our grandkids I could feel her voice change and see the joy lift her tired eyes.  She so missed her husband’s presence in her cancer journey, but was so grateful for her grandkids love that had healed her heart.  Gratitude leads to openheartedness and life fullness.  Start your gratitude journal today!


No comments: