Thursday, May 14, 2015

Building Engaged Resilience

I’d started with a quote from Nepo’s new book, Endless Practice, and how life is not about arriving, but growing and engaging in being human.  With a mix of stories and the work of Bennett, Everly, Seligman, and Fredrickson, the talk followed a path from adaptation, resilience, thriving, to flourishing. I ended with, “What will you do different tomorrow to engage your resilience?”  Susan drove me back to the Detroit-Metro airport and by 5:15pm, the small twin-engine regional jet was in the air.
 

Clouds covered the whole trip back, and as we started our decent into a rainy Houston, the turbulence increased.  Martha (92 years old) was sitting in the aisle seat, and headed for her great granddaughters high school graduation.  As the bumps got worse, I could feel her body lean towards me, as she was desperate to see out the window.  I gently took her closest hand, and just held it.  She took a deep breath and her calmness was almost immediate.  When we landed, she silently mouthed, “thank you”.  Today, engage in being human and grow.

No comments: