Monday, May 4, 2015

Sprint for Life 2015 – Moments of Coming Alive

The 18th Sprint for Life 5K Run/Walk was this past Saturday. Why is it important? In 2015, 22,000 women will be diagnosed with ovarian cancer, and about 15,000 will die, making ovarian cancer the leading cause of death from gynecologic cancers. There is no screening or early detection test available, so only 25% of ovarian tumors are detected before they have progressed to an advanced stage. My pre-race job is the adult leader of a group of high school volunteers who put up all the banners. At race time I am at the start and finish line serving as the MC. Every year as I provide pre-race information I have to work past my initial tears as I yell out, “this event is about you and defeating ovarian cancer”! About the time, I get control of my tears the Star Spangle Banner is sung, and I can’t stop crying as I feel the emotion of the moment. Nipo tells us these moments of great openness are doorways to living more wholeheartedly, moments of authenticity and coming alive.

No comments: