Monday, January 4, 2016

Step into 2016

Who have you become, and where are you going, and how will you be the best you in 2016?  This past week the January issue of Workforce: Business & Strategy and Management journal featured me as their profile piece.  They interviewed me about two months ago and sent a photographer to take pictures at my favorite places around MD Anderson.  Each time I read the profile I smile at a few errors, like I was 5 when my mom was diagnosed with colon cancer not her, and I tried hard to get assigned to an airborne unit in my Army tour, but never got released from my MP duties protecting nuclear weapons.  I also feel the tears as I read and go back to medivac rides where I held dying soldiers in my arms, and breaking my back after my Army tour in a freak car accident that changed where life would take me.  When I think about who I have become I can’t help but thank so many others that have helped me stretch and grow.  Bob Patton & Peter Raven at UNT, Dr. Ed Bernacki at Tenneco, and Dr. Georgia Thomas and Paul Kattapong at MD Anderson.  Being my best is getting harder as my daily oral chemo’s challenge my stamina, but I’m learning to better pace myself, and focus on the daily wellness practices that sustain not just my energy, but how I feel about myself.  If you haven’t already, take the time today to consider who you have become, where you are going, and how you will be the best you in 2016.  Then get ready to stretch and grow as you mentor others, and others mentor you.   

No comments: