Thursday, January 21, 2016

Relearning Joy



When I left the Army and returned home to Baton Rouge, my dad asked me what I planned to do, and I I told him with my military police background I had set up an interview with the Baton Rouge Police Department.  As I walked up the sidewalk to my interview an older cop walked with me and after listening to my story, he stopped me and told me not to go to my interview for I was not meant to be a cop.  I walked away from the interview and started struggling around what I really wanted to do. 


Within several weeks, I received a letter from the CIA and I requested an interview, but that also didn’t feel right.  At some point, my mom’s happiness around being a teacher felt right, so I started taking prerequisite courses at LSU to become a teacher.  By then my hair was long / fizzy and I was teaching macrame classes at the student crafts center.  I was beginning to feel at home without my dog tags, and discovering a warmer, calmer billy who was relearning the joy of life moments.  Be open to the joy of life moments today.        

No comments: