Monday, January 11, 2016

Light Up Your Heart


Harry Gibbs memorial service was on Saturday, led by Chaplains Gail Kennebrew and Stephen Findley, and attended by many of his friends and co-workers from MD Anderson.  Harry was 6’7”, a cardiologist and Chief Diversity Officer, but what made him special was the way he cared about others and life. 


One of my morning rituals was to walk down his hallway in hopes of catching him, for Harry and I shared cancer journeys.  We would talk briefly and before I walked away, he would reach down and place his hand on my shoulder, no words, just an expression of caring and love.  I longed for his touch this morning, for love touches us at our core and opens our hearts to life’s goodness even in suffering.  Nepo writes, “There is no substitute for going through things together” for it is through caring we learn the power of presence that lights up our hearts and lives.  Give someone a caring “touch” today and light up your heart!

No comments: