Thursday, August 8, 2013

Power of Expectations

I’ve been reading the book Mind Over Mind, by Chris Berdik (2012).  Research into “mirror neurons” suggest that our brains accumulate action ideas that keep at ready, and when cued give us a glimpse of the future.  Dr. Robert Reich, or Doc, established the landscape architecture program at LSU and also attended my home church.  My acquaintance with Doc was short, but I now realize he significantly influenced the way I approach creativity and innovation.  The year before I left for the Army, and immediately after my Army tour some Sunday’s I would get up early, meet Doc at church and assist him in creating the altar flower arrangement from the flowers, grasses, branches and leafs he had gathered.  I’d ask him, “What’s it going to be”, and his answer, “well let’s just wait and see”, and then somehow a work of art would magically appear.  Sundays with Doc taught me the power of expectations, as I watched his hands create, the confidence in his face, and the twinkle of magic in his eyes.  Thanks Doc for the life gifts you gave to so many. 

No comments: