Friday, August 30, 2013

Joy and Sailboat Dreams

I grew up with daydreams created from books like Kon-Tiki. There were times in the Army when my only escape from war was sailboat dreams.  I’d never sailed, but when I got out of the service I looked for a small sailboat to buy.  One weekend I found two small boats for sale.  The first boat was an old Sunfish, I told the man I wanted to check out the second boat.  The second boat had been sold, and when I got back to the Sunfish someone else was ready to buy the boat.  The seller asks me if I still wanted the boat.  I took him aside, told him I had no money, but I wanted to buy the boat.  He told the other man I was buying the boat.  I’ll never forget when the other man pulled out his wallet filled his $100 bills, but the seller said it was my boat.  We shook hands on the deal and he thanked me for serving my country.  I paid him $50 a month for a year.  Life is about passing on our joy to others.    

No comments: