Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Name Calling

Throughout our lives we get called all kinds of names. William was of course morphed to Billy, and then in the 4th grade riding my first school bus with kids of all ages, I was called “other” names for the first time. In Boy Scouts the adult leaders called me Sweet William and the scouts called me Trees for I was always climbing. It wasn’t till the Army that I heard Bill, “hey you cop”, and again “other names” by really ticked off drug dealers, drunks, and women of the night. Yesterday, I wasn’t ready when my grandson, who is just learning to talk, yelled out “GRANDPA”. For a man who has incurable metastatic prostate cancer, the cheerful tears came quickly and just as quickly disappeared as my grandson climbed into my lap. Call someone today a name – out of love! My Grandpa and I

No comments: