Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Looking for Joy

One of my favorite early morning activities is tinkering with the edge of my reality through meditation, reading, and escaping to past and future moments.  This sounds so counter to my mindfulness practice of being present, but these solo early morning adventures connect my DNA with the sands of time.  A liberating experience where the flow of life and all its imperfections fade away and I experience raw joy.  My dad died unexpectedly years ago during a weekly cancer treatment, but as he lay dying he asked a friend that was sitting with him, “Do you hear the angels singing?” and then he died.  I have no doubt he was experiencing pure raw joy.  Remember, joy is a gift we give ourselves through love.  Looking for joy?  I like the stories in Melody Beattie’s Journey to the Heart: Daily Meditations on the Path to Freeing Your Soul.

No comments: