Monday, August 5, 2013

Moments of Awareness

I woke up early Sunday in the late 70’s, my orthopedic surgeon had just cut off my body cast, made a joke about the smell, and then told me to hold still as he pulled the stainless steel wire that had served as sutures. I stood by the bed, just like I did over 35 years ago, and contemplated my first step. This weekend I worked my way through Helen Marshall’s book of poems called Moments of Awareness. In her poem, Only Inches Away, she writes, “Life is measured by inches / By steps taken one at a time / Not by the height of the peak we seek / But each little rise we climb.” Slow life down this week, feel each step and find joy in each little rise you climb.
http://www.amazon.com/Moments-awareness-Helen-Lowrie-Marshall/dp/B0006BV0UC

No comments: