Friday, August 9, 2013

Embodied Health Practices

Minded Institute's Blog

Wednesday, I attended a lecture on “How to Preserve Your Well-Being”, given by Tait Shanafelt, MD a leading researcher on physician well-being. Tait and I had worked together in 2011 on a webinar for Stanford, and my short visit with Tait this week renewed my passion for passing on mindfulness and meditation practices through my wellness coaching. A recent study from Boston School of Medicine showed increases in self-control, compassion, and mind-body skill confidence for medical students after an 11-week Embodied Health course. Working at MD Anderson, where caring is our #1 value, we know the importance of empathy, compassion, and connecting with patients, families and peers, but there are days we forget to take care of ourselves, so we can be at our best to take care of others. This weekend consider your daily health practices, maybe they need a little tweaking.

No comments: