Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Windhorses

Johnny slept most nights in a door way near my turn at Travis and McKinney.  He’d lived on the streets of downtown Houston for many of my years at Tenneco.  I’d look for his shape huddled against a door that gave him a little heat or cool air, and leave him food, cover him if it was cold or wet, and if he was awake try to talk him into a shelter.  He didn’t drink, he had just lost himself somewhere along his journey.  I remember the week I couldn’t find him, and how I drove around anxiously looking for him.  But he was gone. 


Tibetan prayer flags that flutter in the wind are called “windhorses”, as they provide uplifting energy and carry prayers to heaven like a horse flying in the wind.  Looking back I realize Johnny was one of the windhorses I’ve had in my life, uplifting my energy as our lives briefly touched.  What windhorses do you have in your life today?  

No comments: