Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Random Acts of Kindness


In 1974, when I left the Army, like many I had been too young to experience so much and was confused, and searching for redemption.  I went to work for a big church, but within 6 months broke my back when my Pinto was hit from behind as I waited at a stop light.  After spinal fusion of L1-L4, I spent 6- months in the hospital and 6-months in a full body cast extending from my neck to ankles.  In the hospital my real pain and the pain of my brokenness was too much, and I became addicted to morphine.  At some point, I stopped sleeping, for at night the still silence brought nightmares.  Months into my night fears, a night nurse started holding my hand and humming me to sleep.  Her touch helped me let go of my brokenness and I began to listen to the “be” deep inside, and the nightmares stopped.  Random acts of kindness can change lives!

No comments: