Friday, September 4, 2015

Healing Spaces

Wednesday, I attended an amazing meeting about people, nature, and ecological / sustainable landscape designs that nurture.  The meeting started with our host describing research about how a view through a window may influence recovery from surgery.  Following his brief introduction into the science of healing spaces, he asks us to introduce ourselves. Luckily, I was toward the end of the introductions, for my mind was stuck looking out the hospital window he had described.  When I broke my back the hospital room, I lay in for months, had a window that faced a brick wall.  One day my orthopedic surgeon asks me if I would like to go outside, I remember the tears of joy.  That short trip outside on a hospital gurney was my first day to believe I could beat the morphine addiction I’d developed.  What healing spaces do you have in your life?  

No comments: