Thursday, September 24, 2015

Sunitinib (Sutent) Oral Chemo

Yesterday, I started Sunitinib (Sutent) a targeted oral chemo that interferes with the ability of cancer tumors to make the blood vessels it needs to spread or grow.  My clinical study is looking at the mix of several different targeted oral chemotherapy’s to better understand their efficacy.  I decided to take the new pills after breakfast, so if there were any major side effects I’d have a better feel for them by the end of the day. 


MaryBeth had an evening commitment, so I brought supper back to the office and worked till about 8 pm.  It wasn’t till I was riding home and had stopped to check on one of our neighborhood homeless persons that I thought about the new chemo.  As I sat on the corner and talked with Ralph, I experienced one of those “soulful moments”.  We talked about where he planned to sleep, and about the food he had saved up for tomorrow.   We talked about his diabetes, and he always asks me if I have diabetes, and I always tell him about my cancer.  I told him about starting a new chemo, and for a few minutes he didn’t talk, then he told me he’d pray for me.  I sat with him just a little longer - two men sitting on a street corner concerned about each other.  

No comments: