Friday, September 25, 2015

Bill Whitmer Leadership Award

Tuesday, Sept 29th the Health Enhancement Research Organization will honor me with the Bill Whitmer Leadership Award for my 35 years of teaching, writing, growing wellness programs, and serving in leadership positions in organizations that have moved the employee health management field forward.  What will I say when presented the award? 

My mother died before I finished college, and my dad died almost 25 years ago, and he never really understood worksite wellness, but they both gave me four values that have guided my life and worksite wellness practice. These values are purpose, passion, perseverance, and engagement.  Receiving this award honors my parent’s faith in life, its wholeness, goodness, and belief in me as I struggled through my early school years with undiagnosed dyslexia. 

One of my favorite Baun-isms is “we don’t do life alone”, and there are many who have been my wind.  Bob Patton and Peter Raven guided my graduate programs, fueled my scientific curiosity and gave me a passion for excellence.  Ed Bernacki at Tenneco and Georgia Thomas at MD Anderson supervised and collaborated with me for a combined 27 years allowing me to grow, and for me to grow those I managed.  There are many individuals that pushed, prodded, and partnered with me on research, writing, and projects that spanned decades and significantly changed the field.  My superhero’s are Michael O’Donnell, Nell Gottlieb, David Hunnicutt, Len Berry, Ron Goetzel, Sheela Sharma, and George Pfeiffer.  And of course, my biggest supporter is my wife, MaryBeth.  What an awesome journey – thank you all so much!



1 comment:

Shazia said...

Congratulations Bill! You are my hero! Well deserved award

-Shazia