Monday, June 8, 2015

Sunrise Shouting

Christmas morning at our lake house, I watched the fog slowly burn off the lake, and thought about Nepo’s words about still moments of silence.  We were several days out on a 7-day hike, spending the night in one of the many White Mountain lean-to’s along our trail.  In the wee morning hours, a large porcupine woke us as he climbed over campers looking for food.  I had never seen a porcupine that large, and everyone was scared, so we hit the trail before sunrise, agreeing to stop and watch the sun come up at breakfast.  The majority of the kids were from the Boston ghettos, and I remember their eyes as that giant yellow ball seem to rise out of the pass far below.  One kid finally ask, “What is that”, and I replied “sunrise”.  It was in that still moment that I heard my “be” shout deep inside be a teacher.  Listen to your “be” lately? 
          

No comments: