Monday, September 23, 2013

Late 60's Hitchhiking

My first serious hitchhiking was the summer I worked in and around Dixie Washington. I had a job at the Green Giant Pea Factory, where I was a cooker during weekdays, and drove forklift on the weekends. But driving field trucks paid more money, so I quit my factory job and began following the pea and wheat crops. At the end of the summer I headed to California hitchhiking down the coast, surfing till my dad caught up with me and told me I needed to come home. I wrote all summer on a yellow pad that is now showing its 40+ years, but the words still feel like they were experienced yesterday. // A coral sea of colors / Washed by the waves of an anxious morning / Frees my soul to wander / To span the worlds majestic lands / An inner search for me

No comments: