Friday, September 6, 2013

Calming Energy of Trees

I’ve always felt a special kinship with trees.  My Scout troop called me “Trees” because I was always climbing and sitting high in their branches.  Their calming energy was a way for me to escape and ground or center myself back to being me.  My boyhood house had two live oaks in the front; one guarded my sister’s room. My bedroom side window looked out onto a small mimosa and its flowers attracted butterflies, hummingbirds and gave me wonderful dreams.  The backyard had a variety of oaks and two huge sweet gums and an oak that had grown into one massive tree.  But my favorites were two sassafras trees in the way back, straight, proud, with roots alleged to have medicinal powers.  My mom, diagnosed with cancer early in my life, and I always made sassafras tea and now I understand why.  Make a tree friend today and get back to being you. 

No comments: