Thursday, September 12, 2013

Being Prepared

The past weekend the rain caught many by surprise. I was grocery shopping and heard a voice behind me, “he came prepared”; I turned to see a young father with two kids in tow. I was wearing my rain poncho, smiled and said, “An old Boy Scout, you know Be Prepared”! As I walked out I thought I’m the guy that carries in my briefcase a multipurpose knife, small flashlight, three prong adapter, a single-to-triple plug adapter, and pens & pencils. Again I smiled, Be Prepared, if only at 11 years old I had realized how my early life experiences and mentors would give me a foundation from which to base a life. Fifty-four years ago I first recited the Scout Laws, but they are still an integral part of who I try to be each day: trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean and reverent.

No comments: