Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Hunger Struggle in America

One of my favorite lunchtime activities is to eat lunch with my son and his two young boys. Usually I bring lunch for all, but my son is doing the SNAP challenge, eating on $3 a day. Yesterday, he was eating beans and rice for all three meals, with a little bread and fruit. Last night, as a board member of CAN DO (Children and Neighbors Defeat Obesity) I participated in the showing of the documentary, A Place at the Table. 50 million Americans – 1 in 4 children don’t know where their next meal is coming from, and 1 in 2 children will be on food assistance at some point in their lives. This generation will live sicker and die younger than their parents’ generation. “If another nation was doing this to our children, we’d be at war.”, Jeff Bridges, Founder of the End Hunger Network. We must do better! A Place at the Table

No comments: