Thursday, September 5, 2013

A Tobacco Free World

Do's and Don'ts of Helping Smokers Quit

Yesterday at lunch I was checking out Pickens Cafeteria and heard, “Hey Bill, today is my two year anniversary”, I turned and walked over to the deli and said, “I’m so proud of you”! She’d quit smoking several years ago and I’ve been one of her supporters. You could see in her smile and the way she stood that it had changed the way she felt about herself. Nicotine addiction is 1,000 times more powerful than alcohol, 10-100 times more potent than barbiturates, and 5-10 times more potent than cocaine or morphine (University of Minnesota). It takes time and skills to learn to be a non-smoker, and the support of others. Reach out and support a smoker in their effort to stop smoking today, and help create a tobacco free world for our kids and grandkids.

No comments: