Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Courage to Try


Funny how life works, it was years after my mom and dad had both died that I understood and appreciated how hard my dad had worked to pay for my mom’s cancer treatments.  In the end the costs drove our family to bankruptcy, and what I will never forget is my dad’s courage to try!  How many times did I watch my dad fail, but he always seem to come up with the courage to begin again.  Today, as I thought about my birthday tomorrow, I couldn’t help but recognize the influence my dad had on the way I have approached life.  

The beach pier took me past the hot sand, a slight left over deeper water, and then it abruptly ended just before the breakers.  As I walked the pier it became a metaphor for life with all its challenges, my failures, and all the times my life choices meant leaving the safety of the pier.  I was blessed with my dad’s courage to try and my birthday wish 15 minutes before midnight and my birthday is that my life has passed his legacy on…….

No comments: