Thursday, October 8, 2015

Sutent Mini-Vacation

Yesterday was the end of my second week of taking the oral chemo Sutent.  Because of its toxicity, they ran blood tests to ensure that it had not impacted the function of my liver and kidneys.  My oncologists was pleased for almost all the values were normal and my cancer marker (PSA) was down almost a whole point.  This past year my PSA has been slowly creeping up as the tumors slowly grew in my lymph nodes, hips, and ribs, so yesterday’s finding was cause for a smile.    This week I will continue taking the oral chemo Zytiga with Prednisone, which I’ve been on for almost 6 months, but I get a week off from the Sutent.  The research shows that a 2 week on and 1 week off Sutent schedule improve tolerability, efficacy, and health-related quality of life.  So if you see me this week and I appear a little less energetic, I’m just enjoying my Sutent mini-vacation and resting.  Even an energy bunny like me needs rest every once in a while – smile.

No comments: