Thursday, October 29, 2015

Puerto Rico Full Moon

After work last night I rode my scooter to the Bellaire Recreation Center and caught the meditation phase of MaryBeth’s yoga class.  As we walked out I was immediately enthralled by the blush of the rising full moon through clouds painted across the sky like breaking ocean waves, and I was instantly back in Puerto Rico 45+ years ago. 


I’d spent the summer working as a lifeguard at an orphanage in Germany, but my heart was with a friend from LSU who had gone home to Puerto Rico for the summer.  A 19-hour ride on a prop plane took me to New York City, where I found a $50 redeye to Puerto Rico.  Arriving in Puerto Rico at midnight I began to realize my surprise visit might not have been a great idea.  What if she had a boyfriend? What if her parents threw me out?  Rapidly my list of what ifs got longer, till I turned and saw the full moon dancing across the breaking ocean waves and I was once again believing in the goodness of life and love.  Are “what ifs” robbing you of time and life energy?

No comments: