Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Gifts from the Heart

Last night my dreams took me back years to when I was a hospice volunteer and would sit for hours with young men that were dying of HIV/AIDS.  The hardest cases where those who had lost the love and support of their families, and I was their only visitor.  For many, I became the last listener of their stories, moments of joy, sadness, and their struggle to understand why life was ending.  Some evenings after my shift, I’d sit in the waiting room and pretend I was waiting for their families, and only leave when my numbness had quieted.  Other evenings I’d stay and hold their hands and only leave when I felt the rhythm of life return.  Last night my dreams took me back years to when I was a hospice volunteer and I was honored as the last listener of life stories.  Gifts from the heart.  Today be open to receive gifts from the heart.  

No comments: