Thursday, July 9, 2015

Walking on Thin Ice

Dead man’s pond was one backyard and three houses away, and the University Lakes were only 2.5 miles or a 30-minute bike ride.  Growing up in Baton Rouge, these haunts provided an escape from the dread I experienced around my mom’s cancer and gave my life a sense of adventure.  My neighbor Gordon and I built rafts out of bamboo, old trees, or barrels we would find in the swamp and spent hours being Tom Sawyer or Robinson Crusoe.  A few winters when it was cold long enough our water play yards iced over.  Once I walked across the ice to a cypress tree growing just off the bank of University Lake, before the ice broke and I ended up in several feet of water and mud.  Gordon and I had a good laugh for we were deep into our roles as Lewis and Clark. 


Much of my life I have been willing to walk on thin ice, and now realize taking risk has been a life tenant leading to my life as an entrepreneur.  As I relived memories with Gordon early this morning I realized it’s not just been my willingness to take risks, but my perseverance to positively impact others, guided by my faith that has made my life an awesome adventure.  Are you an ice walker?  Do you have a Gordon in your life to share the adventure?  What are you waiting for?

No comments: