Thursday, July 2, 2015

Passing on Pride

At our last National Wellness Institute (NWI) Board meeting, Aldrenna Williams and I received handmade vases in thanks for our service to the field of wellness and the Institute.  My vase sits in my office on my round table beside the bird tree I bought when my friend Alberto invited me to share my passion in Brazil, and the green button elephant I bought when I spoke in Chile last year.  The past few weeks I’ve been going through business cards I collected at the conference, and answering  request for copies of my presentations (Becoming a Wellness Entrepreneur and Physical Activity – The New Smoking: The Art of Programming), and promised articles.  This brought a wave of thank-you emails, which has been a very humbling experience. 



Tuesday, I realized I am almost out of business cards, so I requested new cards without my NWI Board of Directors affiliation. I woke Tuesday night with the memory of Bill Hettler, co-founder of NWI, and I at his house many years ago, where he gave me a bunch of his NWI Board of Director polo shirts.  Wednesday, I wrote Joel Bennett, a newly appointed NWI board member, and asked him what size shirt he wore for I had some board shirts to pass on.  He called it a “hand off”!   Letting go this piece of my life has not been an easy decision, but after a few short email conversations with Joel yesterday, I realized how good it feels to let go by passing on the pride and traditions someone gave me to me.  Stand tall Joel and Mim for you are in for an awesome journey as new NWI Board members.   

No comments: