Monday, July 27, 2015

Core Value Lessons


Last week, I once again learned a hard lesson about trust and integrity.  Trust is built on a foundation of integrity, and integrity is one of MD Anderson’s core values. Our employee Handbook entitled Do the Right Thing, defines integrity as “We work together to merit the trust of our colleagues and those we serve”.  One of my first experiences with death in the Army was all about trust.  I remember kneeling on the ground, tears streaming down my face, as the medevac flew away, so angry because it had been such a senseless death.  I gathered the squad around me, and all I could think about were the 12 scout laws that I’d memorized years before, that start with trustworthy and loyal.  But just like that day as the hum of the medevac disappeared, last week I knew I had to let go of the sting of broken trust and move on, for life goes on.  Be open to core value lessons.

No comments: