Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Sunlight Clasps the Earth and Moonbeams Kiss the Sea

My mom met my dad at Muskingum College in Ohio, where she was an English Major.  She loved the flow of words and the rhythmic pleasing patterns they formed when placed just right.  Poetry was her choice for a good read on our back patio where the birds and squirrels played chase in the trees, and the shadows danced on the paved patio squares.  Yesterday, I stopped in an MD Anderson garden as I walked back from a meeting, and heard her voice, “And the sunlight clasps the earth / And the moonbeams kiss the sea: / What is all this sweet work worth / If thou kiss not me?”  She was a romantic and as cancer took her body, she found solace in her Bible, faith, and poets like Shelley.  Gifts she gave to me.  What gifts are you giving others? 

No comments: