Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Loneliness

My dad moved us to Irving Texas when I was in the 4th grade.  We were the first house off a busy street. I really missed my friends and the make-believe world we had created in the swamp and bamboo forest in my old neighborhood.  After a year, my dad moved us back to the old neighborhood and my lonely feelings immediately went away.   Loneliness is caused by loss of community or disconnect from those who care.  After a trip to America, Mother Teresa, suggested that the greatest illness of the West was loneliness, accompanied by a spiritual vacuum.  Connect with others today and experience the unique synergy created and joy.

1 comment:

MaryBeth said...

For those of us who rely on scientific evidence, the data demonstrate that isolation is closely related to longterm health, and to longevity. Bill, as you know, Mother Theresa is one of my most cherished heroes… My hope is that all of us will continue to spread her wisdom, and take actions that create and sustain connection and sense of community. This is core to my aspirations - locally, in my village (Rice Village) and my city (Houston), socially (with my hometown (Boonton Twp., NJ and my adopted hometown (Burlington, VT), with family, both blood and "adopted," and with my family, friends and acquaintances in the health promotion/wellness industry. I invite all who read this to explore this exercise: List the 5 senses (or 6, if you add gut or intuition). Next to each one, brainstorm ideas for how you can connect with one another in activities that engage that sense. Then list three small steps, choose one to three of those activities, and identify 3 small steps you could take to make it happen. Try doing the exercise with someone else. This is one way You can make a difference!