Thursday, June 27, 2013

Bonds, Bridges, and Others

Like most of us, my life is composed of multiple projects.  There’s our new washer / dryer that needs their doors switched, and the watering system that still needs some tinkering, and engagement models and upcoming presentations that never seem quite done.  Lately, my reading has been around social capital and social contagion theory, or the connections we make with others through our shared values and behaviors.  I’ve been writing at both ends of the candle and as I rode home last night in the quiet streets of midnight I saw our neighborhood street person.  I stopped, asked if he’d had anything to eat all day, and if he needed more mosquito repellant.  We talked about tomorrow and his front flat tire, and I rode off thinking about him and the mosquitos – long lost were my multiple projects, replaced by gratitude. Our lives have meaning because of the bonds and bridges that connect us with others.   

No comments: