Friday, July 5, 2013

Freedom Fighters


Yesterday, I held my dad’s dog tags that he wore as he fought in Korea over 60 years ago, and realized he’d never really talked much about his war tour.  He came back from Korea, left the Army Air Corp and moved his young family to Louisiana to fight in another war.  I grew up in the 50’s and 60’s and my parents would take our family to black churches where they would teach and preach in support of the Civil Rights Movement.  After my mom died, my dad remarried my mom’s best friend, a psychology professor at LSU who fought all her life for freedoms.  Today, I woke up thinking about my three grandsons’ and how best to share this rich heritage of freedom fighters – and then I realized, I just need to be myself, and they’ll grow up experiencing their heritage, just as I did.     

No comments: