Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Spirit Coach


When he walked in, I was sitting by Aurora’s desk talking to Ann.  We hadn’t seen each other for weeks, but I instantly felt the spirit of our comradery return, and I rose for a hug.  He was dressed impeccably, with a blue houndstooth dress shirt and bold tie.  After our hug I sat back down, he asked me “How are you doing?” and I said, “I’m doing okay.”  His reaction was immediate, he raised his finger and pointed it directly at my heart, “You are doing better than just okay, you are doing GREAT!” 

All of us in our life journeys have had spirit coaches who with a few words or a look transform us into who we are to become.  My dad and I didn’t really get close until the end of his life, but throughout our life together he’d give me strength in weak moments, by just placing his hands on my shoulders.  I worked my way through undergraduate school as the head manager of the LSU football team, working for Coach Charlie McClendon.  Coach Mac had a way of bringing the best out of all of us as individuals and as a team.  In the Army, I had a First Sergeant that held me steady through several violent deaths, engaging me to remain a courageous, confident commander


As Craig put his finger down, I stood and said, “Thanks, Craig I needed that!”  Every day each of us has multiple opportunities to be a spirit coach and transform someone by a few words or a look into who they are to become.  Become a spirit coach today. 

No comments: