Saturday, February 28, 2015

Islands in the Sky


Yesterday, after watching the continuous sunrise as we flew toward LA I dozed off, but somewhere over New Mexico I woke to see the top of a mountain peeking out of the clouds like an ”island in the sky”.  My first kidney stone was over 30 years ago, and a little over a year ago I passed my 10th stone.  Many of these stones have cost multiple hospitalizations, and 2 large stones were broken up with lithotripsy (sound wave technology).  But my last 4 stones I’ve passed using meditation to relax the smooth muscles of my kidneys and bladder, and guided imagery that feels like rectilinear movement to expel the stones.  Islands in the sky have always been my mediation metaphor for the place I need to be to pass a stone.  Passing over that place yesterday was surreal, but also it gave a new glow to my hope.  Believe in the impossible.   

No comments: