Sunday, April 13, 2014

Fight Back

Relay for Life Friday night was all about “fighting back”. The event started with Dr. Foxhall who talked about MD Anderson’s Moonshot strategy that is all about fighting back. The next speaker, a cancer survivor, described how the American Cancer Society has walked with her along her cancer journey, strengthening her fight back attitude. The Star Spangle Banner was sung acapella by a soloist who gave it a beautiful southern edge, and when she reached, “and the rocket’s red glare, the bombs bursting in air”, a helicopter flew over. I was immediately transformed back to the first time as a soldier I was shot at while riding in a helicopter. I could feel my tears as my fight back instincts flamed inside me, and I felt the strength of my resilience to my cancer / life journey. Today fight back!

No comments: