Friday, May 27, 2016

Wellness Alchemist


Lately, my work at MD Anderson with patients, caregivers, and employees has focused on mindfulness and breathing.  This week as I worked with groups and individuals I realized many of them find the fast pace of life positively exhilarating, but also recognize they are losing pieces of themselves as they bend time just to keep up.  Many have given up or forgotten the transformational power of silent self-time where exploring their inner space leads to awareness, deep understanding, change, and growth.  Yesterday, as I addressed the staff of Internal Medicine, I felt like an alchemist creating new life view possibilities through the breathing techniques I was teaching. 

You are probably wondering if this work has any real impact.  Monday, a young woman standing in the elevator with me said, “Bill, I did what you suggested with my child and husband at our evening prayer time, and started out with the breathing exercises you taught our department, and it deepened our prayer experience together”.  Wednesday, as I waited for my breathing circle to start a faculty member who had been touched by my labyrinth work, sat down next to me.  She handed me a beautiful book on labyrinths as a gift and told me, “Bill you have put me back in touch with my spirituality, thank you”.  Be an alchemist today and reach out and touch someone and change their world!     


No comments: